Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Skiing at Romme Alphin

I never knew skiing was so fun until 22nd January 2006 I love it when the wind blows on ur face and the adrenaline when ur ski lifts off the ground hahahaha It was a trip the university ESN organised. Total cost for all the falling down and embarassment : 420 SEK hahaha Because the skiing resort was so far away (there wasn't any near linkoping) , we had to take the bus at 6 am - in order to reach Romme Alphin at 9 am! See Linkoping right at the bottom and Romme Alphin right at the top :S


Uthyrning! This is where we queued up to get our ski equipment...very efficient because we gave them the details of our sizes beforehand and it was a breeze to collect it...

Temperature during skiing: -15 Before going upslope...we still had the mood to snap pictures not knowing the danger that awaits.....

Nice to see...but not really nice to go up!

Lesson 1: you have to learn is how to properly get up the ski lift. I thought you were supposed to sit on the thing and in the end I kept falling. There was even a time i refused to let go and got dragged up the snow slope hahaha The people behind and the lift operator was like laughing and getting frustrated. Luckily the ESN guy brought us to another slope and learn the very basic...HOW TO SLOW DOWN. However, I was glad i din't get up at the first try. 2 of my friends went all the way up for a first timer and one of them crashed into the tree while coming down! hahahaha

Lesson 2: Slow down by crossing ur 2 skis together. It should work but for me, it seems I can't slow down as much as my friend. I started down the slope later than him but ended up down there faster than him. Up till now I still don't get it!

After these 2 lessons and countless times falling, I am ready to conquer the slope! Let's take a shot of the view before we go....

In the background, you can't really see the slope already :S Well its not that steep really...its a beginner's slope :S Kids younger than me all strolled down.

I couldnt take any shots on the way down (although i very much wanted to, but then it might be the last pictures I will ever take in sweden if i do fall halfway!) And here we go again! Down the slope......and yes i survived...but look at my friend here.

Morale of the story: Don't Gei Kiang!

After clearing the kiddy slope, we moved on to slope 2. It gets progressively higher and higher and so the view gets nicer and nicer!

There's always a price to pay to get nice shots....slope 3 higest of them all! Let's take a picture before going for the drop..

Yes we can still smile :)

Half way down hahaha

Safe and sound finally keke

And the group of survivors (mostly first timers) ...


The most lesson I learnt at the end of the day: Never let your ski drop off halfway down the slope. Very common when you fall and tumble. Unless you got someone you can cling to to wear back your skis , if not, prepare to struggle or slide all the way down! Cos it is so damn difficult not to slide down after u clip on one ski......it happened to me and it could happen to you too!

I can't wait to go skiing again!

No comments: